Shrimp and Coconut Curry Soup
Kona Cafe, Disney’s Polynesian Resort
Yield: 6 Servings
1 ½ Sticks Margarine
1 Large White Onion; medium diced
4 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes
4 13 ½ oz Cans of Coconut Milk
1 ½ C. All Purpose Flour
3 T. Mild Indian Curry Paste
1 ½ T. Red Thai Chili Paste
2t. Lobster-based Bouillon
1 lb. Peeled and De-veined Shrimp
8 oz. Sour Cream
Juice of ½ lemon
Unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Combine curry and chili pastes together
2. In a large bowl, coat the shrimp with 2 teaspoons of the paste mixture. Season with kosher salt.
3. Melt margarine in a medium sized stock pot.
4. Add the diced onion and “sweat” under moderate heat.
5. Add flour. Stir until onion and flour mixture forms a blond roux.
6. Add coconut milk, remaining curry and chili paste mixture, tomatoes, and the bouillon.
7. Whisk well to combine all ingredients allowing mixture to come to a simmer for ten minutes.
8. Add shrimp and continue to simmer till shrimp is solid and pink. Be careful not to overcook.
9. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
To Prepare Garnish:
1. Combine lemon juice and sour cream in a small bowl
2. Chop chives finely
3. Toast coconut flakes until golden brown
1. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls.
2. Put one dollop of sour cream in the center of the bowl of soup.
3. Sprinkle soup with chives and coconut flakes